The demand for home remodels is expected to remain strong—even as the COVID-19 pandemic begins to ease as vaccinations rise and people are no longer trapped inside their abodes obsessing over all
Longtime Pearl District Developer Prepping Historic Building For New Creative Office And Retail Spac
Dated: September 4 2015
One of the Pearl District's original visionaries is still shaping the swanky urban neighborhood, this time with a complete renovation of one of the area's last buildings available for adaptive reuse.
Hoyt Building Investors, under managing partner Al Solheim, is completely renovating the two-story Stagecraft Building at 1302 N.W. Kearney St. The 28,000-square-foot, circa 1890 building will be remade into the Pearl's latest creative office and retail space.
“Our goal is to preserve the property and keep its historic roots alive,” Solheim said. “Stagecraft is one of the last available buildings in the Pearl suitable for adaptive reuse. We like these classic buildings and feel a strong commitment to preserve a part of the history and character of old Portland.”
Construction on the two-story brick building began in early August and is expected to be ready for occupancy by early 2016. Walsh Construction is the general contractor and Mackenzie is the architect and engineer.
When completed, the two-story loft style space will let in plenty of natural light via brand new windows. The interior open layout will feature high exposed ceilings, skylights throughout the second floor, concrete floors and natural wood beams. New paint, new mechanical systems, and seismic and structural upgrades will also be part of the renovation.
Peter Andrews, Nick Ehlen and Al Kennedy of Melvin Mark Brokerage Companywill handle office leasing for the property, and Kia Hartley and Dan Bozich of Urban Works Real Estate will represent it for retail leasing.
According to the release, the building began its days as a distribution center for M. Seller & Co., an international distributor of crockery and housewares. The building was also one of the first warehouses on the 13th Avenue rail line. In 1894, the warehouse was gutted by fire but was ultimately rebuilt. M. Seller & Co. occupied the space until 1936 and closed its doors in 1961.
The next occupant, from about 1936 to1960, was Bisceglia Brothers Inc., a California-based winery that was one of the first wholesale wine distributors to set up shop in Portland after Prohibition was repealed.
In 1964, the building began a 50-year run as the home of Stagecraft Industries, which specialized in theatrical installations and equipment found in arenas and theaters throughout North America and overseas. Stagecraft is now located in Swan Island Industrial Park.
For the past 10 years, the building has housed Pacific Northwest College of Art’ssculpture studio. The college has since relocated to its new campus at 511 SW Broadway.
“For 125 years, this building has had a remarkable career and has housed an intriguing range of industrious companies and innovative enterprises," Solheim said. "We look forward to this next chapter and watching a new generation of businesses find success in this location.”
For Mark Ross, founder of Ross NW Real Estate and professional real estate broker, real estate has always been the career of choice. During his 25+ years in the industry, Mark has gained experience in....